Accessory Dwelling Unit
Do you need more living space in your home? Let us create the perfect ADU for you. Here at Thatcher Construction, we are skilled in all manner of remodelling projects including ADU building. By allowing us to create ADU house plans for you, you get the extra space that you need without having to search for a new home. It is much easier to add on to your existing home than it is to go through the process of moving. Our remodelling experts can help you fall in love with your home again.
What is ADU?
An ADU building is an accessory dwelling unit. These buildings also go by several other names including:
- In-law apartments
- Granny flats
- Backyard cottages
- Secondary units
No matter what name you use, an ADU is an economical way to get the extra space that you need.
What types of ADUs are there?
here are three types of ADU housing options in Tacoma.
- An interior ADU would be an in-law apartment in the basement or attic.
- A detached ADU would be a small cottage or apartment building on the same property as the main house.
- The attached options would be an add-on to the main house. You could have a room, a suite or a separate wing added to a structure.
There are many reasons why an ADU makes sense for your property.
- An elderly family member can be cared for while still having their own space with an in-law.
- An adult child moving back home can have their own space.
- A teen who needs their own room
- Create space to have guests come to visit.
- Create more living space for a growing family.
Pros and cons of constructing an ADU
As with most things, some pros and cons come with constructing an ADU in Tacoma.
- Additional living space
- You can stay in your current home.
- You may be able to make extra money if you rent the space out.
- If you do decide to sell your home in the future, the extra living space could be a selling point that adds value to the home.
- Though the cost is far less than buying a new home, some consider the cost a con.
- Depending on the type of ADU, you could be losing some of your storage space. For example, if you turn the basement or attic into a livable space, you won’t have those areas for storage anymore.
How much does it cost to build an ADU?
The cost to build an ADU in Tacoma varies depending on the type that you want, the size, and the finishes you choose. You should expect to pay between $130,000 and $200,000. There are ways to bring the costs down. Some people pay much more due to what they want in the finished product. Speak to one of our team members to learn more about your specific cost.
Each one of our team members has decades of experience that they bring to your project. We bring honesty, integrity, and a dedication to providing the highest level of service to every job. We will remain focused on your project from start to finish. Each member listens to our clients so that we can give you precisely what you want. You’ll find that our prices are competitive and fair. Give us a call to discuss your project.